The City of Carlin is seeking an experienced and qualified City Manager.
Open Until Filled.
$75,000/year if residing in Carlin
$65,000/year if residing outside of Carlin
Carlin is a small community of approximately 2,800 people nestled within mountainous high-desert region of northeastern Nevada, approximately half way between Salt Lake City, UT and Reno, NV. The Humboldt River runs through Carlin, as do three creeks—Maggie’s Creek, Mary’s Creek, and Susan’s Creek. The City’s government has approximately 25 employees and offers variety of public services, including parks and recreation, police and fire, public works, and senior services. While rural, Carlin lies only 23 miles west of Elko, Nevada, a larger mining and tourism community of approximately 20,000 permanent residents. Carlin residents enjoy a low cost of living and countless outdoor recreation opportunities.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Carlin City Manager is the City’s chief executive officer reporting directly to the Mayor and Council. The City Manager is responsible for all City operations, and for implementing the decisions and policies of the Mayor and Council.
The City Manager will be responsible for performing all functions set forth in the applicable job description and otherwise assigned by the Mayor and Council. These may include, but are not limited to:
· Acting as the Mayor/Council’s chief executive agent.
· Preparing for and attending all Council meetings, participating in deliberations, and providing information and recommendations to the Council.
· Advising the Mayor/Council in areas requiring policy development or revision.
· Enforcing all City policies and regulations, and ensuring legal compliance.
· Managing and taking responsibility for all day-to-day operations of the City.
· Managing the hiring, retention, training, education, and development of all City employees; evaluating the performance of these employees; and initiating discipline or other corrective action as appropriate.
· Preparing the City’s budget, managing its day-to-day finances, and being responsible for contracts, procurements, and other transactions.
· Developing and recommending long-range plans for City programs, services, facilities and financial resources that are consistent with population trends, City goals, and community needs.
· Managing the City’s business operations in accordance with applicable policies, procedures, and laws, and the needs of the community.
· Initiating and/or maintaining beneficial relationships between the City and other public or private entities.
· Attending local, state, and national meetings, conferences, and workshops as deemed beneficial to the interests of the City.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
The City prefers that its Manager be a strong leader with the following credentials:
· Bachelor’s degree or higher
· At least five years leadership experience in or transferable to the public sector
· Nevada Driver’s License or ability to obtain a Nevada Driver’s License within 45 days of hire.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE:
The ideal candidate will:
· Have excellent organization and communication skills.
· Demonstrate an open, collaborative leadership style with a willingness to listen.
· Be capable of making and standing behind hard decisions when necessary.
· Demonstrate sensitivity toward diverse rural populations and the need for public services that meet the needs of such populations.
· Possess knowledge in all aspects of facility management, personnel management, financial management, operations management, and strategic leadership.
· Possess an understanding of the culture, dynamics, and unique characteristics of a small, rural community.
· Have knowledge of laws, rules, and regulations governing the operation of City government.
· Live in Carlin.
HOW TO APPLY:
A complete application for City Manager must include:
1. A completed City of Carlin employment application, available at www.cityofcarlin.com
2. A letter setting forth personal qualifications, experiences, and reason for interest in the position.
3. A current résumé.
4. Minimum three professional references that may be contacted during the recruitment process.
Please submit all required documentation to Madison Aviles, Interim City Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person at 151 S 8th Street, Carlin, NV 89822.
If you have any questions regarding this position or the recruitment process, contact City Hall at (775) 754-6354.
This recruitment will be handled in accordance with Nevada’s Open Meeting Law. Applicant finalists will be interviewed by the City’s Mayor and Council in an open meeting. The City of Carlin is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations may be provided for qualified individuals with a disability. Applicants are encouraged to discuss potential accommodations with Madison Aviles, Interim City Manager.