Click to Home
Go To Search
Email pagePrint page
Water Outage 5/21/2015
Due to a broken water line in the 100 block of West Bush several homes will not have water service in this area. City crews hope to have it repaired by 8 p.m. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Controlled Burning is OPEN
A burn permit is required in the City Limits of Carlin for any open burning. You can obtain a burn permit by contacting the Fire Department at 775-754-6969 or by stopping at 121 Hamilton Street.       

RFQ's for Professional Services
The City of Carlin is currently seeking RFQ's for a City Engineer.
If your firm is interested in one of these professional services please contact
David Jones at 775-754-6354 or email  for a RFQ packet.    

Would you like to serve your Community?
The City of Carlin currently has openings on the Planning Board, the Park and Rec Board, the Equestrian Board and the Carlin Volunteer Fire Department.

These boards and departments add to our community and you can serve on one of them. They shape the community with the legislative process, they add value through entertainment, cultural activities, provide invaluable services to our citizens and diversify our community.

Please Call 775-754-6354 and inquire about serving your community today. 


Carlin NV.jpg
Carlin is a small community located in northeast Nevada, 23 miles west of Elko and is situated along Interstate 80. Carlin's city limits encompass 9.0 square miles with a residential population of 2,851. The City's responsibilities and structure are outlined in the City Charter adopted in 1971. The developed portion of the City of Carlin covers roughly one-half square mile and is located near the center of the nine square miles which make up the jurisdictional area of the city. Approximately 75% of the land within the city limit lies north of the Humboldt River with the remaining 25% south of the River. Important tributaries to the Humboldt River which flow through the city are Maggie Creek and Mary's Creek. The two creeks generally serve as the east and west boundaries of the City.

Carlin has been a pioneering area throughout its history. It sits astride the California Trail and saw thousands of settlers pass through during the westward expansion. (Note - the Donner Party passed through the area on their way to California)

It was also a major part of the railroad pioneering expansion across the continent and for many years was a main stop on the Southern Pacific route, with maintenance shops, crew quarters ad ice houses based in Carlin's railroad yard.

Today Carlin has entered a new pioneering era. It is significant as the gateway to the world's largest gold mines. Mining became a major employment base in the early 1960's with the development of the area commonly known as the Carlin Trend. The Carlin Trend boasts two of the largest open pit gold mines in the world, processing approximately 3 million ounces of ore annually. The Newmont Gold Quarry site is visible from the Interstate and the northern slopes of the City. 

Within minutes of Major Shopping, Fine Dining, Gaming, Shows and all amenities, the City of Carlin has maintained a small town atmosphere and quality of life.

2015 Dog Tags

2015 Dog Tags are due by March 2, 2015.
Last day to purchase dog tags without paying the $15.00 late fee is Monday, March 1, 2015 before 5p.m.

Tags can be purchased M-F 8am-5pm

News Flash
Stay Connected Subscribe to Notify Me to receive updates and information about community news and happenings. Read on...
Stay In Touch Stay in touch with us by following us on Twitter, becoming our friend on Facebook or subscribing to one of our RSS Feeds.